Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trip to California, Part 1 August 30, 2012


We received permission to leave the mission for a 6 day weekend to go to California to visit Jim's brother for his 70th birthday. So we left Thursday morning, August 30th and headed south on I-15 to spend the night in St George. We also planned to visit Zion National Park on the way.

Thses are two photos of barns I saw along the way,

This is a cool log barn! I wonder how old it is.

This scene is south of Filmore on I-15.

I love these ranch exit signs here in the west. There is nothing else there except the road to a ranch.
 I do not know why these trees are all dead on this hill south of Cove Fort but maybe there was a fire earlier.

 
 Just south of Cove Fort, we turned East on I-70 and went to the Sevier Exit to go south on the scenic Rt 89 toward Zion.


This is a river just south of Sevier on Rt 89, maybe the Piute River?
 

It is amazing how adaptable birds are to make their homes in rocks by drilling holes.
 
 This is Big Rock Candy Mountain, near Marysvale on Rt 89. I guess it got it's name because of the chocolate & vanilla colors in the mountainside. I wonder....
 

These colorful train cars were brought here, we think, to make cabins for tourists. However, they were not in operation at this time. It never ceases to amaze me what you will find on the side of the road!
 This is a pretty rock farmhouse we saw along the way. I just had to get a photo!

This is Piute reservoir, north of the towns of Junction & Kingston.
 
 Junction is the town and this is the county courthouse for Piute county. It is a small rural county. Pretty courthouse, though. Is that a banner beside it or a volleyball or badminton net?
 These "free range" goats were by the road right next to the courthouse! I told you it was rural!

I haven't decided whether this is a log house or a log barn. What do you think?

We turned west on Rt 9 to go to Zion and found this ranch with a herd of Buffalo.
 

A man and a boy were looking at the buffalo and maybe vice-versa. Look at this wooden windmill!

When we came out of Zion to head toward St. George, we saw this unusual display of an old western town. I think it was near Verkin on Rt 9. (I will tell you more about Zion later)
 

This water tower was way up on top of this mountain. I had never seen a water tower that far up before, and this was with my zoom lens!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment