Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Salt Lake Century Ride, May 19, 2012

Jim, Walter Mills, and I went on our first published ride.  It was a 100 mile ride with the turn around point being on Antelope Island. I knew I could not do 100 miles but I said I would try to go to the 36 mile turn around at 18 miles.  Well, once we got there those two felt so good they wanted to go a "little" further.  Bottom line is that we each rode 77 miles that day and yes, I made it up to the 72 mile turn around in order to get the full lunch. (Ha,Ha)

There were lots of different bikes on the ride.  This fella had a windshield on his bike!
 This guy had a camcorder on his helmet.  He was riding with his daughter.  He said his camcorder was even waterproof.
 These two were on a tandem bike.  Her handlebar warps were pink & his were blue!
 This is more of a comuter bike for daily ride to work when you have to carry stuff.
 Stopping for a photo of this log barn was a good excuse to catch my breath!
 I took this photo to show the John Deer weathervane on the sign for this farm.
 At one of my "breath" stops, I caught these horses running to get some hay the farmer just put into their pasture.  See the three different colors!
 This is at the last stop or the turn around for us when we were able to make a sandwich, get chips and a drink.  There were tons of bicycles there.
 This is where they had a tent and you went down the line and constructed your own sub sandwich.
 Here is just one of the scenes of all the bicycles.  I was humilated when a father & young son showed up on a tandem bike.  (If they could do it, why was I breathing so hard?)
 This was a lovely old home in the Kaysville area, I think.
 Walter is by the sign for this park and railroad museum which I think we should one day go back and tour.  We did not have energy or time on this ride.
 These next couple of photos were take at 7:30am at the Utah State Fairgrounds and the official start of the ride.  We had ridden from our RV to this to "start".
 Some of the riders out of the gate are starting their ride at about 7:35am.  Walter is on the right waiting for me and Jim..
 Jim and Walter are looking fresh at the start of the ride.
 This is where I thought I would turn around & where they gave us drinks and snacks.  This was 18 miles up the road, north of Centerville.
 Here we both are at the 18 mile stop.
 On the way back home we stopped to see this model airplane field.  This could be another stop on another ride.
 Finally back at the Fairgrounds at about 4:30-5pm.  We celebrated with a couple of "Creamies", ice cream/popsicle type bars.
 The end of the ride..almost.  Here are the three of us at the Fairgrounsds with about a mile left to ride to total our 77 miles.  We had ridden as far north as Freemont Park in Syracuse, Utah, about 38 1/2 miles.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment