Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mission Trip to SLC- Fenton, Mo to Russell, Ka

Wednesday, August 17, 2011, we left Fenton and headed north to get onto I-64 West which eventually merged into I-70 West. We left the Wal-Mart parking lot again about 8:15 am Central time. Our heat has been in the 90's for the entire trip so far.
The cool "twin" briges are on I-64 headed West going over the Missouri River. I also like bridges! :-)
I think they are dredgeing the Missouri River, downstream from the bridge.
This, to me, is a rather typical road scene in Missouri on the interstates, heading West. They have these rock walls in various parts of Missouri.
Here is an unique Missouri Barn with open sides on one side of the barn. This is on I-70 West of St. Louis.This looks like a prosperous farm, on I-70 West of St Louis, near Mile 60
This is a Missouri Farmhouse on I-70 West about Mile 60
Do you recognize the Kansas City skyline? This city is in Missouri and in Kansas, with the Missouri River making the state line.
Now to show you some barns in Kansas. They are more properous farms than in Kentucky.
This Kansas farm is obviously very prosperous, near mile 365 going west on I-70
This is an older barn in Kansas, near mile 347 on I-70
One really gets a western feel, looking at the distant road ahead, here in Kansas, near mile 343.
Another old Kansas Barn near mile 343.
I did not know there was an Oz Museum. But if you want to go there, it is in Wamego, Kansas, exit 328.
This farm shows the green of Estern Kansas. Eastern Kansas is also hilly. Western Kansas is mor flat and not nearly as green.
These green hills remind me of the movie,"Dancing with wolves", near mile 316.
Some of the cut-away hills, necessary for the builing of the interstate, show striations of color.
Interstate I-70 West near exit 304 shows the great viewing distance.
Another view of the striations.
This shows the striations in the cut away hill on the right.
I guess I was right about the green hills & "Dances with Wolves" movie. Evidently Custer & the US Calvary were located nearby Exit 301.
This cannon was on a bluff opposite Fort Riley, Kansas. The hill or bluff appeared natural.
We think these are Black Hawk Helicopters at Fort Riley.
Here are some Army trucks at the Fort.
This farmer is making the rectangular bales of hay, near Salina, Kansas.
This farmer is making the modern, large rolled bales of hay mile 244
Farmer's field of corn which goes on forever, near mile 240 on I-70 West.
Wind Mill farm near Ellswoth, Kansas, Mile 225 on I-70 West. These wind mill farms are now in many states, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho for example.
Fort Larned & Fort Harker Museum are also at Exit 225 near Ellsworth. In case you didn't know, both Kathleen Ellsworth Speidel, Rusty's wife and Dan Ellsworth, Katy's husband have Ellsworth Pioneer Heritage. I wonder how this town fits into their ancestry?
This is an unusual old barn in Kansas, near Mile 194, not far from our destination of Russell. We arrived at Russell about 6pm. This was another 500 plus mile day!

No comments:

Post a Comment